Friday, February 13, 2015

Echo of Heartbreak, A Recipe for Life by Carol Ann Kauffman



A Different Kind of Love Story 

Echo of Heartbreak, A Recipe for Life is a short story written in the form of a letter from a very ill mother to her unborn daughter.  It contains advice, life observations, and some really good recipes.

Amazon Buy Link:

Excerpt:

Pink Underpants

Early the next morning, Ethan was deep in thought.
“Melina, you’re going to have to slow down soon, you know.  You’re working full time and you do everything at home.  And the cooking.  And the baking.  You spoil me rotten.”
“Yes, that’s my goal.  A rotten husband.”
“Be serious!  Let some of this ride for a while.  I only want you to feel good and be healthy.  I don’t care about anything else.  I don’t care if I have to eat Chinese take-away three nights a week.”
“I care!  And the baby and I have to eat healthy.”
“Very well then, how about the laundry.  I can do up the laundry.  I know how to load the machine and push the buttons.”
“Yes, but how about sorting?  The last time you did the laundry, you washed our red beach towels with your white underwear.  Remember?”
“Yes,” he laughed, “and I had to wear pink underpants, which really isn’t such a big issue when one keeps one’s clothes on.  Melina, I insist.  And I promise I’ll sort.  Whites from reds.  Okay?  No more carrying laundry baskets downstairs.  Or carrying them back up.  From this moment on, I am in charge of all the laundry in this house.  Agreed?”
“Agreed”
“I’m… worried.”
“Ethan!  I’ve never known you to worry about anything in your life.”
“Well, I am now.  I’m worried about you, he said.”  She moved over and cuddled up in next to him.
“You dear sweet man, don’t worry.”  He held her close and kissed her head and her neck.
“I’m afraid, Melina.  I’m scared to death I’m going to lose you.”

“You aren’t going to lose me.”


Here are some reviews from Amazon.com:
5.0 out of 5 stars A touching story and yummy recipes! :) September 6, 2013
Format:Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
This is a wonderful little novella. Carol Ann Kauffman, author of Time After Time series, has written a completely unrelated touching novella. It's letters from a dying mother to her unborn baby. She is leaving her letters on how to live her life, advice on growing up, falling in love. This book is incredibly touching. It's also filled with amazing recipes, that the mother is passing down to her child. Recipes that the family always made.

This little cookbook/ novella is wonderful, touching and a great addition to a kitchen! :)
5.0 out of 5 stars Both heart-breaking and hugely absorbing September 16, 2014
Format:Kindle Edition
Wow! This is both heart-breaking and hugely absorbing, the storytelling is fast paced and exceptionally well written, I loved the conversational style of Melina and the direct and honest outpouring of emotions. The recipes are both informative and wonderful, and certainly a surprise and innovative element of the narrative. This is the second book I have read by Carol and this continued to delight and engage, hugely recommended.


*****5.0 out of 5 starsEcho's of This Mothers Heart. January 20, 2015
Format:Kindle Edition
This book broke my heart and healed it all in one sitting. I suggest that all mothers share this book with their daughters and visa versa. It is a story of a young mothers struggle to leave a legacy of knowledge and some tasty ideas. I truly loved this book and will share with my daughters and grandaughters. I hope that eveyone will take the advice of this loving mother. Carol Ann Kauffman truly captures the human spirit in this loving tribute to women everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment