Tuesday, March 22, 2016

The Work of Martin Saldaña

The Work of Martin Saldaña



Dear Gentle Readers,

I first saw the unmistakable work of Martin Saldaña while on vacation in Colorado Springs, CO, at the art museum there.  There was something about his work that I just loved.

There is a playfulness about his paintings, a fresh look at something old, that totally re-energizes the subject matter. 




Look at this.


Will you ever be able to look at Blue Boy the same way again?


I wish these photos were of better quality because they don't do his work justice.  I tried to buy something in the gift shop that had his images on them, but they didn't have anything.






And while we're talking about Blue Boy, we can't leave Pinkie out.


In 1950, Martin Saldaña was invited to try out an art class... by mistake.  


He was the only 76 year-old in the class at Denver Art Museum and instantly became enamored with the idea of 

painting scenes from his childhood in San Luis Potosi in Mexico.  His paintings have been described as endearing, innocent, and lively, but no matter how you describe them, they are charming and show the artist's great love of life.



Martin Saldaña painted every day, usually completing an new oil painting every three days.





Martin Saldaña died at the age of 91.  Before picking up the paintbrush, Martin was the head cook at The Brown Palace Hotel, a landmark in Denver, CO.



Just goes to show you, you are never to old to find that spark of inspiration that may change your life and the lives of those who appreciate your work.  


We owe all this to a wrongly-addressed invitation to an art class.

Thank you, Martin Saldaña. Your work makes me smile. Your vibrant use of color and simple designs excite me.  You have made my world a better place.

Hugs,
Carol    

2 comments:

  1. I love his work! Today is is the first day that I've ever heard of him, or looked at his artwork... I am an artist of sorts. I graduated from The Cooper Union School of Art in 1993, and worked as a freelance decorative painter for most of my life after that. I switched gears about 7 years ago, and I now work with autistic teenagers in an ABA program. I've been feeling horrible for the past couple of years. I've been diagnosed with Lyme Disease and chronic EBV, and most of the discs in my back are herniated. I'm exhausted and in pain most of the time, but I recently made the decision to do all that I can do to pull myself out of this quagmire, at least mentally. I came across some inspirational quotes, one of which was from a woman named Marie Beynon Ray (Her last name in the quote was misspelled, so I had to google a bit to get to her). I came across a book she wrote called, "How Never To Be Tired Or Two Lifetimes In One", and I started to read it. She mentioned Martin Saldaña, and how he began painting (Although she misspelled his last name as Martin Salaña in her book!). Funny coicidence! And, now I am here. His work made me smile, as did your post about his work. Thank you! MABB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, MABB, for your comment. I hope you are feeling better. One day at a time.
    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete