Monday, January 8, 2018

January Black Ice by Carol Ann Kauffman




Mary Catherine Collier is called to the penthouse apartment of the city’s very rich, most influential lawyer, Detrick Bittmor. He has a very personal assignment for her. It involves a mysterious young man who sits on a park bench every day at noon and stares up at Bittmor’s top floor apartment.

Mary Catherine, or Cat, as she’s better known, has a soft spot for this lawyer with a nasty reputation. There’s something about this old man she likes, and even finds charming. 

Detrick Bittmor thinks the young man on the park bench resembles a younger version of himself. He thinks this young man could be his son from an affair he had many years ago with a beautiful New Year lawyer. This man could be his only heir. 

And old man Bittmor isn’t getting any younger.


Reviews:
on March 6, 2017
This is a very short book and it ended way too soon to suit me! It leaves you with a cliff hanger------Luckily there are more in this series and I can tell you right now I will be reading them.

Do you believe in love at first sight? Well that is what happens when Detrick Bittmor convinces Cat Collier to befriend a young man who he thinks may be the son he never knew he had until he received a letter from a long ago love. Why Cat--who is the obituary writer for a small town newspaper.

Will Cat manage to befriend the young man? And what happens afterwards? Is this young man the son that Detrick Bittmor thinks he might be?

Get ready for a clean short mystery which will keep you enthralled and wanting to read more!
Comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?   Report abuse
on December 11, 2016
In January Black Ice by Carol Kauffman, Mary, or Cat, meets the dashing Carter after an unfortunate series of events. Their courtship quickly progresses as they must endure another harsh winter. Yet Carter's concerns over Cat during her travels seem to take a disturbingly realistic turn after she tries to convince him that her latest roadside mishap was just due to black ice on the road. What is the cause of her true troubles? I would recommend a read of this fast-paced story to anyone who likes a little suspense mixed with their romance. This is one book that every suspense fan should get and would make a perfect gift for any suspense fan on your list.
Comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?   Report abuse
on September 9, 2016
This book is the first in a series and was such a good read that I had to immediately purchase the next two books. Cat Collier is a fun character and very lovable. I was rooting for her to find love and happiness all the way through. She's someone I would love to have for a friend. The mystery was well done and this is just an all-round wonderful read!
Comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?   Report abuse
on January 10, 2017
I found that I really enjoyed January Black Ice so much that I read the February and March books right after this one. It kept my attention and I liked the main characters. I would certainly recommend it for compelling reading.
Comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?   Report abuse
on March 5, 2017
I really liked the story & the characters.
If you're a fan of mysteries then this is definitely a book for you to read! Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?   Report abuse
on March 1, 2016
January Black Ice by Carol Kauffman is a great prelude of adventures to come in the new Cat Collier mystery series. The affable and enthusiastic Mary Kate Collier is likeable and interesting. I am anxiously awaiting what is going to happen next in Heaton Valley.
Comment| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?   Report abuse
on November 8, 2017
Too quick of a read. Everything happened in hyper speed. I wanted some meat and potatoes to fill the story out more.
Comment|Was this review helpful to you?   Report abuse
on August 13, 2016
The first book in A Cat Collier Mystery is fantastic!
I loved the way Kauffman brings her characters to life, and their situations keep you reading to see the outcome.
I can't wait to read the other books in this series!
I highly recommend this book, and I know I'll recommend all the books in this series!
Comment|Was this review helpful to you?   Report abuse
on July 26, 2016
This is the first book of the Cat Collier Mystery and I'm already looking forward to book 2. Carol Ann Kauffman has a special way with her writing. She brings happiness and romance to light in a wholesome way. She makes you wish you were that main character.
Cat, Mary Catherine Collier, writes the Obituary for the Heaton Valley Herald and also does research for the paper. Detrick Bittmor is a lonely old man who once was in his hay day a very prominent lawyer for the town.
Mr. Bittmore asked Cat to "make friends" with this man who has been sitting on a park bench every day outside his penthouse apartment. Find out who he is. Get to know him. Why? Well he may be ---- -----! Cat agreed to do it. But she never expected to fall for this guy and find out he has been lieing about who he is to her. Who is this guy?????
You are left hanging with some unanswered questions, but a warm feeling of true love. So now I have to read the next book to find out the answers. A good writer will leave a good book and you hanging.
Comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?   Report abuse
on June 22, 2016
I had this on my Kindle for a few months before I went ahead and read it. I knew it was a series so the stories queued up. After a few months of just not feeling in the mood to read (unusual for me), I decided to try something short to get me back into the swing of things. This seemed like a good one to start with and after reading it, I binge-read the rest of the series.
The world the author has created was solid and it was easy to imagine the characters in my mind's eye. Cat is a likeable heroine and I feel like Carter is revealing himself at a nice pace. I'm discovering him the way you would learn about a new friend or lover, a little at a time. Of course, the mystery is centred around him in this story, so I can't say too much. Dettrick, I can't make up my mind about. Is he a villain? A crazy old man with a good heart underneath it all? Or is there something else? I can't wait to find out.
All in all, it's a good start to the series and I would highly recommend it.
Comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?   Report abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment